Thursday, March 6, 2008

Adventures with food

I can't believe I have gone this long without talking about food. I really like the food here. My two favorite dishes have the main ingredients of beets and potatos(imagine that). There also is a bit of mayonaise and oil involved. My favorite salad is called in english Russian Potato Salad. It has boiled beets,potatos and eggs with pickles, cucumbers and onions chopped up in it. It also has capers in it. Add sour cream and some oil and it's really good.
The other salad(I use the salad word with the ideal that it may not be a healthy salad) has some of the same ingredients as above but there is mayo and pickled herring involved(herring under fur is the Ukraine translation). This is my favorite dish of all. It is very filling and 1 cup of it is a whole meal.

I also love the dumplings. The ones filled with cabbage are very good. Yesterday it was really cold so I had Borshch(borscht to you Americans). Ok, now that I've been talking about all this I am really hungery so Roman my project manager is bringing in Borshch for lunch.
Yuri called and can't come today(dang) so I'm shopping for mini-shirts and whatever else I want with Yulia. She will keep me from going crazy. She is very practical. She makes all her own clothes including her coats. They are really pretty and well made. The sweaters that she makes are beautiful. I could learn a thing or two from her(NOT). She doesn't have enough time in her whole life to teach me what she knows.

1 comment:

SMP said...

I would pay to see her TRY to teach you to sew - -and Ruby Niles would get a kick out of it too - -I don't remember if you were a good seamstress in Home Ec or not!! hahaha Take Care and keep writing. Susan